THE HOOK HEATH NEIGHBOURHOOD FORUM CONSTITUTION
The name of the Forum shall be the Hook Heath Neighbourhood Forum (the Forum).
The objects of the Forum shall be:
- a) To improve the area known as Hook Heath as edged red on Plan 1 (the Neighbourhood Area) for the benefit of individuals living and working within the Neighbourhood Area and local business organisations.
- b) To promote the social, economic and environmental well-being of the Neighbourhood Area.
- c) To prepare in partnership with the Local Planning Authority a neighbourhood plan for the Neighbourhood Area.
- d) To encourage the goodwill and involvement of the wider community.
- e) To foster community spirit and encourage civic pride.
In furtherance of the objects, but not otherwise, the Management Committee may exercise the power to:
- a) Promote the social, economic and environmental well-being of those individuals living and working within the Neighbourhood Area.
- b) Promote sustainable development, environmental improvement and conservation by educating, encouraging and assisting the local population in environmental practice, working in partnership with similar groups and organisations.
- c) Invite and receive contributions and raise funds where appropriate, to finance the work of the Forum, and to open a bank account to manage such funds.
- d) Publicise and promote the work of the Forum and organise meetings, training courses, events or seminars etc.
- e) Work with groups of a similar nature and exchange information, advice and knowledge with them, including co-operation with other voluntary bodies, charities, statutory and non-statutory organisations.
- f) Employ staff and volunteers (who shall not be members of the Management Committee) as are necessary to conduct activities to meet the objects.
- g) Define and maintain the definition of the Neighbourhood Area covered by the Forum.
- h) Take any form of action that is lawful, which is necessary to achieve the objects of the Forum, including taking out any contracts which it may see fit.
(1) Membership of the Forum is open to:
- a) Individuals who live in the Neighbourhood Are/a.v
- b) Local businesses and individuals who carry out business or work in the Neighbourhood Area.
- c) Local representative groups and elected members of Surrey County Council and Woking Borough Council representing all or part of the Neighbourhood Area.
who have an interest in assisting the Forum to achieve its aim and are willing to adhere to the rules of the Forum.
(2) The Forum will aim for as wide a representation of communities in the Neighbourhood Area as possible.
(3) Where it is considered membership would be detrimental to the aims and activities of the Forum, the Management Committee shall have the power to refuse membership, or may terminate or suspend the membership of any member by resolution passed at a meeting.
(4) Any member of the Forum may resign his/her membership by providing the Secretary with written notice.
(5) The Forum shall have a minimum of 21 members before any decision on neighbourhood planning may be made.
(6) The Secretary shall maintain a list of members at all times.
(7) All members shall have an equal vote.
5. MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
(1) The Forum shall be administered by a Management Committee comprising no less than three (3) and no more than fifteen (15) people, who must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
(2) Members will be elected for a period of up to one year, but may be re-elected at the Forum’s annual general meeting (AGM). There is no limit to the number of terms an officer may serve.
(3) Management Committee members can appoint officers from within the Management Committee to fill vacancies that arise during the year.
(4) The Management Committee will direct and oversee the work of the Forum and will meet at least three (3) times a year for this purpose.
(5) Subcommittees or working parties may be appointed by the Management Committee to carry out specific tasks, to consider policies and to advise the Management Committee. Such bodies may be appointed within or outside the membership of the Forum but will be responsible to the Management Committee.
(1) The Forum shall have a committee consisting of:
- · The Chairman
- · The Treasurer
- · The Secretary
and any additional officers the Forum deems necessary to carry out the required activities.
(1) The AGM shall take place no later than three (3) months after the end of the financial year. At least fourteen (14) days’ notice must be given before the AGM takes place.
(2) When required, the Management Committee can decide to call a Special General Meeting (SGM). An SGM shall only take place after at least seven (7) days’ notice, unless it is deemed as an emergency.
(3) When required, the Management Committee can decide to call an Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM). An EGM shall only take place after at least twenty eight (28) days’ notice.
(4) Three or more Management Committee members must be present in order for a meeting to take place.
(5) It shall be the responsibility of the Chairman to chair all meetings or a designated deputy in his/her absence. All meetings must be minuted and accessible to interested parties.
(6) All members are entitled to vote at any general meeting. Voting shall be made by a show of hands on a majority basis. Where practicable, arrangements will be made to enable members unable to attend to appoint a proxy. In the case of a tied vote, the Chairman or an appointed deputy shall make the final decision.
Notices to members will be deemed delivered if sent to the member’s last notified email address or (where no email address is given) sent by post to the last notified address.
(1) The Forum will have the power to raise funds as necessary for its activities, by grant, donation or any other appropriate means. The Management Committee will open one or more bank accounts as necessary in the name of the Forum.
(2) All funds acquired by the Forum, including donations, contributions and bequests, shall be paid into an account operated by the Management Committee in the name of the Forum.
(3) All funds must be applied to the objects of the Forum and for no other purpose.
(4) Any deeds, cheques etc relating to the Forum’s bank account shall be signed by at least two (2) of the following Management Committee members: Chairman, Treasurer and Secretary.
(5) Any income/expenditure shall be the responsibility of the Treasurer who will be accountable to ensure funds are utilised effectively and that the Forum stays within budget.
(6) Official accounts shall be maintained, and will be examined annually by an independent person with adequate financial expertise who is not a member of the Forum.
(7) An annual financial report shall be presented at the AGM. The Forum’s accounting year shall run from 01 October to 30 September and the first accounts (financial report) of the Forum shall be from the date of designation of the Forum (24 October 2013) to 30 September 2014.*
10. NEIGHBOURHOOD PLANNING
(1) Any decision to undertake, consult on or submit to Woking Borough Council for approval any Neighbourhood Plan shall be subject to a vote of members of the Forum.
(2) All consultation on the Neighbourhood Plan will be open to all residents and businesses whether members of the Forum or not.
(3) The Forum shall set up a website to publicise the neighbourhood planning process, record it and seek views of the public.
11. ALTERATION OF THE CONSTITUTION
(1) Any changes to this constitution must be agreed by a majority vote at an EGM.
(2) Amendments to this constitution must be conveyed to the Secretary in writing. The Secretary and other members of the Management Committee shall then decide on the date of an EGM to discuss such amendments
(1) The Forum may be dissolved if deemed necessary by its members in a majority vote at the AGM or an EGM. Any assets or remaining funds after debts have been paid shall be returned to their providers or transferred to local charities or similar groups at the discretion of the Management Committee.
This constitution was adopted at a general meeting held at Gorse Hill, Hook Heath Road on 24 April 2013. An amendment (see *) was agreed at an Extraordinary General Meeting held at Gorse Hill, Hook Heath Road on 11 June 2014.
Peter J. Hill
The webmaster can be contacted on the following email address. Please retype it, as the electronic link has been removed to reduce spam.